After a month of hard work, I’m finally done with the character pencil animation and tones for the current scene I’m doing.
I’m a little shocked how long it took to do this―I was expecting to be quicker. Actually, the animation was done in about four days. It’s when I started doing the inbetweens that production really slowed down to a crawl and the long hours started piling in. I literally spent over three weeks doing inbetweens. I’m not sure that doing the scene, the way I did, is the best use of my time. I need to figure out ways of speeding up that process. Here’s a little breakdown to give you an idea:
Rex is in the scene for 406 frames and Aven for 294 frames. That’s 700 frames of character animation. Each character is a mix of 1’s and 2’s (number of drawing per frames), so rougly, the total count is 500 drawings. If each drawing requires around 20 minutes do do, you can see how crazy this gets. Not only that, but for each of these drawings, I must draw an additional tone matte layer which represents the area of shading.
● Paint each drawing and tone matte. I’ll also be adding the eyeblinks at that stage.
● Animate a shadow under the Blossom (blue ball) and Aven.
● Add the electrical effects in Rex’s bubble.
● Animate (hand drawn frame by frame on 1’s) the transformation special effects from Blossom to Aven (place holder animation currently there).
● Animate and choregraphed background bubbles and trails (They all start taking off towards the right).
● Composite all these elements (this is where I make everything blend seemlessly together).
I’m hoping to get all this wrapped within a week. Let’s see how well I do.